Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Kikoi trading - we take care of the faces behind the products


Triangle market, Nairobi, Kenya




First of all: I want to thank Maijakaisa, the owner of Kikoi Trading, from the bottom of my heart, for joining me on my first trip to Kenya. First to Africa actually. I saw HER Kenya, and I’ve fallen in love already.

We spent hours on Thursday in Triangle market, a small handicraft market in Nairobi, where the artisans sell their work. Some of them were making the products right there, some of them make them during the evenings, some of them gather a group of women and make them together (I even met the Picasso of Africa ;), or at least he introduced himself as such. And I mean - who wouldn’t support Picasso by buying some of his work, if he comes to you in a market in Nairobi??).

This place is where some of Kikoi’s products are originally from, and I truly can sign Kikoi’s statement – we take care of the faces (and hands, one could add) behind our products. Wonderful, just beautiful women. Funny, smily….and when I ask to take a photo, they get all serious J!! When the others see Maija making orders in number of stalls she has made business with also before, they wait patiently, and then call ‘Sista, please come inside and take a look at my products, as well!’

Triangle market, Nairobi, Kenya

Triangle market, Nairobi, Kenya

Triangle market, Nairobi, Kenya


We passed by Westgate shopping mall a couple of times, where the terrible things took place just couple of weeks back. The roads were blocked and there is the army and the police everywhere in the city center, their machine guns visible. You wouldn't want to mess with these people.

On our way back to Maija’s friend’s house, where we were staying before hitting the road for Kenana Knitter Critters in Njoro, we stopped to buy some flowers and to meet Robert, the talented man behind Kikoi’s banana tree products. We ordered some of new products, let’s see what he comes up with J.

After having a quick dinner we were back at the house – and met the most hilarious people on earth – the owners of Simbaexperience.fi, a Finnish travel agency organizing tailored trips to Kenya and elsewhere in Africa. I don’t remember laughing out loud like that for a long, long time! And and and – we were offered some dinner company AND a Night Safari in the Nairobi national park on Saturday evening before my flight back home (more about this later).  What all you can fit into 3 days when you happen to be in right places at right times…Below what I thought would be my Safari experience ;).
Triangle market, Nairobi, Kenya


Triangle market, Nairobi, Kenya - I was told by the seller this is Kenyan technology ;)








No comments:

Post a Comment